Sunday 21 February 2016

Le Recherche the Proustian Memory

One of those early memories that makes you remember the feeling of being alive; and actors need it


This isn't about Coke!But as it's here now, what is the power of Proustian memory this bottle recalls?Those multisensory memories which revive what it felt like to be 6 years old. And a very valuable asset for an actor, as that's what my EQUITY card tells me!

The Coke bottle revives the dusty hot streets of East London of say 75-82 summertimes. When the air was filled with cigarette smoke. My family don't drink so it was probably visiting pubs owned by cousins or dad meeting someone related to work. The bottle must be GLASS. It does taste different.

But the reason bottle is here, is for it's typography.

It's called the Loki Cola font & for me it's significance is that its very similar to the sign where I lived. Kennards a hairdressers on Main Road, Sidcup which was my parents home amoungst the  relatives that I chose to stay with: sister, grandfather etc.

Kennard himself was a cheerful Jewish hairdresser who had a 70's moustache & had purchased the shop & accomadation above it from an orthodox Jewish family.  My father knew immediately it had been the home of an Orthodox Jewish family, as there is something that is a give away if you know what you are looking at.

Sadly I cannot find any photos of the hairdressers sign. It was magnificently elegant. A similar font to Coke's its scrolling white lettering set against a black background which made it look very cool

3 comments:

  1. You mean a mezuzah, Stephen?

    Mentioning hairdressers, I don't recall Kennards but my father would take me to Andy's in Station Road (possibly the same premises now owned by Clip Joint according to Google Maps?) where I would climb into the booster seat on top of the traditional barber's chair to be topped and tailed by Mr Andy himself, a tall, bespectacled gentleman with a neatly trimmed moustache.

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kennards was on Main Road in Sidcup. At 233a. It was my home & have very fond memories of it. It's a semi detached house connected with a newsagents, that was run by brother & sister Cyril & Edna (gives you an idea of their age) with their mother who lived to 101 in 1982. Andy's in Station road? I'll look on Google Maps to jog my memory. You remember Leaver's in Station Road, the toy shop? Sadly also gone. There was also a large toy shop almost opposite the police station that was open for less than a year in 1977. I can't find any details about that

      Delete