Tuesday 14 June 2016

Capitalism destroying the culture of Soho

It has long been a warning that rising rent prices are destroying many shops & businesses in central London that have been so long established that they have become part of the culture & ambiance of the City.  In Soho rent prices were generous due to land owners who understood the importance of culture.

Now, especially since 2004, faceless capitalist  property developers have bought the leases & via their PR have boasted about 'redevelopment' & 'exciting future'. This doublespeak actually translates as wipe out the existing companies in favour of  anonymous, bland, corporate companies who can afford exorbitant rents. This has now had a personal impact on me, see below. Also an excellent little Italian diner on Shaftesbury Avenue is under pressure where the capitalist new landlords want to pass the site to a USA corporate giant such as Starbucks, because there just isn't enough of them sprouting up like toadstools 



1 comment:

  1. Hello this is an unrelated question to this particular blog but to another one. I'm unable to email through your contact me section so il do it this way. I'm a lover of how and why books as well I've everyone uk and US titles but Arms and Armour, would you do a trade if you have a copy of that title. I've a how and why Arab world in Excelent condition if you desire that title. I've no intention of completing my collection then selling only to look at read and admire. Than you so much my email address

    angustitoko@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete