Wednesday 17 April 2019

 The Ship That Ran Aground

When I was 15 I had finished the last of my O levels, did the first ones when I was 13, and was ready to join the naval college at Greenhithe, the college was mostly land based since 1976 and stood next to the impressive  VVictorian Gothic house of Ingress Abbey  The naval connections had been toned a lot since early 70s.
The college's origins were a cadet ship HMS Swale, I believe was the ship, that fought at the Battle of the Nile.  The Honour Role had names from that battle, and Swale was one of the two ship names that was continued when I was there.
 There is a memorial mosaic by the river Thames. An impressive image of a ship of the sail but the plaque is inaccurate. It describes only  Training Ship Worcester; she was put down in the first half of the nineteenth century when a young Victoria had ascended to the throne. There is no mention of the earlier ship which our college had a lineage to, enshrined in the Honour Role.
-To              be continued with photos  I'm off to do drone filminng

No comments:

Post a Comment